"Impro has been a huge hit with our audiences for four summers and counting, and we are determined to have them back at OSF for a longer residency."
– Bill Rauch, Artistic Director, Oregon Shakespeare Festival
"Impro delivers smart, literate comedy that we can recommend to our audience with confidence. It is my pleasure to continue to offer a home at The Playhouse to Impro Theatre, based on my admiration for their work, their collaborative spirit, and the theatrical diversity that they bring to our building."
– Sheldon Epps, Artistic Director, Pasadena Playhouse
"Studying improvisation provides a metaphor in which you can learn how to be more human and stretch the limits of the self. Impro Theatre provides the highest quality training I know to experience this life affirming work. I highly recommend this intensive."
– Patricia Ryan Madson, Stanford Emerita,
Author of Improv Wisdom
"These guys are really wonderful! They work without a net every night. They’re very brave and very good."
– Garry Marshall, comedy legend
"The future of the art of improvisation is being developed and practiced at Impro. Attend this intensive to change the way your approach as a performer. You will learn how to deepen narrative and relationship, practice detailed space work, and understand that where your head is at matters. Experienced, passionate teachers lead the way. "
- Previous Summer Intensive Student
“The Impro Theatre School is one of the most invigorating and inspiring training grounds for acting that I know.”
- Daniel Blinkoff, MFA, Yale School of Drama
"I don't think I have ever experienced improv like this before. I am on an improv tour in the US and this was by far the best intensive I've ever had. The instructors were very generous and gave attention to every student. This is a no miss for any improviser out there in the world who would like to step up their improv journey. The musical improv sessions were wonderful too! I would totally sign up for this again and again"
- Naser Al Sughaiyer improviser
Impro School instructors are all working actors with many years
of professional acting and improvisational experience. They have
taught at schools and companies all over the world including The Old Globe Theatre, American Conservatory Theatre (ACT), Stanford University, UCLA, Pepperdine University, Duke University, UC Santa Barbara, Shakespeare Santa Cruz, Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Dreamworks Animation, Cirque du Soleil, and many more.
EARLY BIRD TUITION: $600
(plus $100 if participating in musical elective)
DEADLINE: Must submit application by Mar. 31st
REGULAR TUITION: $700
(plus $150 if participating in musical elective)
Housing, local transportation and meals not included.
Classes take place at Impro Theatre
1727 N. Vermont Ave., Suites 208, 209 and 211
Los Angeles, CA 90027
IMPRO THEATRE'S "TWILIGHT ZONE UNSCRIPTED"
Garry Marshall hosts a
"Twilight Zone UnScripted" talkback
- Learn an overview of Impro’s approach to narrative storytelling: slowing down and diving into character and relationship allows story to unfold.
- Study the latest techniques and tools employed by the Impro Main Company when working on any genre. Every year we are honing our craft, and we are excited to share with you our latest discoveries!
- Gain insight on how the tropes and motifs of great writers -everybody from Shakespeare to Film Noir- teach improvisers how to tell compelling stories of any style. Students will be working in several styles throughout the week!
- Performers and directors will learn how to apply Impro's techniques to their personal craft and leave with a newfound understanding of how to develop narrative at their home theatres!
- The MUSICAL ELECTIVE is two three-hour musical improv classes (Mon. and Tues. 7-10pm) where students will learn the techniques Impro uses to create improvised musicals from Sondheim to Fairytales!
- Receive tickets to two Impro Theatre Main Company performances (Jun. 7th & Jun. 13th).
- Participate in talkback discussions after performances.
- Perform in the Summer Intensive show in at Impro Studio in Los Angeles alongside Impro Theatre Main Company faculty.
Welcome Party on Sunday June 7th
Closing Night Party on Saturday June 13th
ANYTHING ELSE? Yes And!
- Explore Los Angeles
- Meet improvisers from all over the world
- And hang out with the Impro Theatre Community!